Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Check off a childhood dream

Ever since I can remember, I've wanted to go skydiving.
I finally went on Monday (Labor Day)! It was awesome! Totally worth the time, effort, $, etc.

I wanted to do the Accelerated Free Fall level 1 as opposed to a tandem jump, because that's always what the dream was - to jump out of a plane by myself.  Well for AFF level 1 there is an instructor who jumps on either side of you.  It turned out to be a good thing that they were there, as I had a bit of hesitation around 5200 feet (we were trained to pull the shoot at 5000 feet).  For some reason I started thinking of the reserve parachute instead of pulling the main chute.  Pat (the instructor I'd spent ~6 hours with in AFF training) pulled the chute for me.

The experience of actually jumping out of a plane somewhere between 12 and 13,000 feet was amazing...  Free fall is a really cool experience, and gliding and controlling the parachute to a soft landing was very cool as well.  All in all it was a very smooth experience, and I'd recommend it to anyone who is interested.  Perris Valley Skydiving has gotta be among the best and safest places in the world to skydive.  The staff was very professional and super safety conscious.

Haha - I'm tempted to go again and pull the chute properly =)






Video is below.
If you want to skip to the interesting part, it starts right around half way through.

1 comment:

Stan Kurdziel said...

YouTube is one crazy place these days. It's really become for video what google search was in the old days for text, allowing topic based discovery and browsing.

* Here's a vid of someone jumping out of a plane and catching up with another plane!
* Another one of Joseph Kittinger jumping from 102,800 feet - spending 4 mins and 36 seconds in free fall and breaking the speed of sound while falling
* A video of a guy jumping without a chute and then getting handed a chute part way down