Monday, January 19, 2009

Happy Martin Luther King Jr Day

Today is one of my favorite holidays.
Martin Luther King Jr is one of my personal heroes. His noble and inspiring vision, which he promoted against all odds, was for equality of opportunity for all mankind. An amazing public speaker, an admirable quality in and of itself, he used his talent to inspire people to make peaceful change in the world around them.

His awards include the Congressional Gold Medal, Presidential Medal of Freedom, and Nobel Peace Prize. Each year I re-watch the I have a dream speech from the 1963 March on Washington:



In 2008 I visited the National Civil Rights Museum in Memphis, Tennessee for the first time. It is a place with a very strong presence, and definitely worth visiting. Today am wearing the "I am The Dream" shirt from the museum

This year, with the first ever inauguration of a non-Caucasian president tomorrow, remembrance of Martin Luther King Jr is especially relevant. I believe our entire country, regardless of ethnicity, is currently filled with hope for a brighter future, and a lot of that responsibility rests on Barak Obama's broad shoulders. I imagine that MLKjr would be pleased at the election of our new president. If he was alive today, I'm sure he would make an inspiring speech tomorrow. I can imagine him as an enthusiastic 80 year old, applauding the progress made in the last 40+ years, and encouraging all citizens of the country to do our best within our individual spheres of influence, whether large or small, to improve the world around us.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful speech. Gives me goose bumps when I listen to it.

And yes totally expected of you to wear a shirt like that. If there was such thing as "Happy Day" on the calendar, you would wear your "Choose Happiness" shirt. I think it's cute.