Thursday, November 8, 2007

Politics

My little bro convinced me to donate a couple bucks to Ron Paul the other day. I don't like to brag, but RP broke a fund raising record just a few minutes after my donation ;-)

I must admit though, I haven't researched him much. Just read a couple of his issue pages.
I strongly disagree with his views on Border Security and Immigration Reform. Because:
  • I (like GWB) know that illegals are a solid and important part of the economy
  • I achieved US citizenship because I was born in this country, and I think it's a major step away from the constitution as written 200-odd years ago to change this
  • My personal encounters with illegals have been highly positive. I summarize the group as highly motivated people working their asses off to improve their and their family's lives. That's exactly the spirit this country and the democratic principal in general is founded on!
    Not to say that freeloaders are completely mythical, but I personally have never encountered an immigrant freeloader... Strike that - the only ones I have already had money and were able to hire lawyers and twist the system however they wanted - Legally!
  • I have had many friends on the border patrol, and they told me that for the San Diego border anyway, the only reason anyone gets through is because the politicians tell them not to stop everyone. So, stupid solutions like big fences don't make sense to me.
But, I strongly agree with his views on Privacy and Personal Liberty. I wish more of the candidates saw privacy and personal rights as an important topic. These have been in extreme decline for at least 8 years... After preventing world war 3, that's the political topic I feel most strongly about.

Now that the serious stuff is out of the way, I LOVE this Hillary video:

1 comment:

Stan Kurdziel said...

It's stupid that atomfilms only has a short preview in the embedded player and forces you visit their site to view the whole clip. So lame!