Monday, February 18, 2008

Blood Diamond

just watched Blood Diamond. Definitely Hollywood, but I agree with a review I read that it is a persuasive presentation. Why is it that I don't think it would change the behavior of anyone I know?

It must be that life in Africa (Hollywoodized or otherwise) is so far away from middle class life in the US that it's outside the realm of things we can think about in a realistic way.

I wish our foreign policy was a bit less supportive of situations in foreign countries that are so abusive to the residents of these countries. It's not our job to go fix all the world's problems, but we should at least try to not make them worse! I saw Nina Hachigianon on Bill Maher and like the title of her book: The Next American Century: How the U.S. Can Thrive as Other Powers Rise. I didn't read any of it or get a feel of whether I agree with her views exactly, but the idea of foreign prosperity not being such a threat to the US is the kind of win-win thinking that seems so lacking in US policy lately.

No comments: