Friday, February 22, 2008

Top 3 Reasons I can never get back together with my ex

We've been broken up for nearly 5 months now, but I have to admit, the number of times I thought about getting back together over that period of time, rivals the number of times I've thought about sex.

I think I'm beginning to think more and more rationally about it though, and today I came up with the top 3 reasons why I can never get back together with her
  1. Throughout our 3.5 year relationship, she never once (or at best 1% of the time) let me win even the tiniest, most insignificant, disagreement. I don't think I've encountered her level of stubbornness in anyone else I've gotten to know even moderately well. Even though she often apologized after the fact, I don't think she ever really changed her opinion, or allowed for the validity of my opinion, and it wasn't uncommon for the same disagreement to resurface again. That's not the type of person I want to be with.

  2. I think she's a "pretender". She hides her true feelings the majority of the time - perhaps because she feels that there is something wrong with them, or maybe just that it is best to hide ones feelings. I finally learned that the person I thought she was, kind and considerate of others, is just a facade. She only acts that way in order to cover up that internally she's extremely self-centered. I don't think she even realizes that she is doing it. Not only do I not want to be with someone who is incapable of putting herself in other's shoes, but one of my favorite quotes of all time is from Hamlet "To thine ownself be true". I don't want to be with someone who is so incapable of being true to themselves.

  3. When she broke up, there was very little hesitation or second guessing. She's now at a time of her life where she's not certain of very much in her life (job, where she wants to live, type of person who is a good match for her, relationship with her family, etc), but the one thing that she's been very certain of over the past 5 months is that she doesn't want to be with me. She really doesn't even have a good reason to explain to friends and family, and resorts to vague misleading reasons or outright fabrications. I don't know if I could ever really forgive her for that, and even if I did, how could I trust her to do not repeat the same behavior again?
I'll focus on those three reasons and continue reducing the number of times I think about her, until the relationship is just a faded happy memory, like remembering a childhood pastime. I'm a very considerate, supportive, and loving person and I deserve to date people who share those characteristics.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I don't know you
But I want you
All the more for that
Words fall through me
And always fool me
And I can't react
And games that never amount
To more than they're meant
Will play themselves out

Take this sinking boat and point it home
We've still got time
Raise your hopeful voice you have a choice
You've made it now

Falling slowly, eyes that know me
And I can't go back
Moods that take me and erase me
And I'm painted black
You have suffered enough
And warred with yourself
It's time that you won

Take this sinking boat and point it home
We've still got time
Raise your hopeful voice you have a choice
You've made it now

Take this sinking boat and point it home
We've still got time
Raise your hopeful voice you have a choice
You've made it now
Falling slowly sing your melody
I'll sing along