Monday, February 18, 2008

TV considered harmful?

I like TV quite a bit, but also realize that it can use up a lot of time.
Maybe it's a good idea to set a weekly quota or something... <shrug>
I tend to use my laptop while watching TV and work on things while watching, but maybe that's not a great idea either.

When I was in a relationship, I thought watching "our shows" together was a nice relationship activity. Watching and cuddling, relaxing and spending time together, staying up till wee hours of the night watching shows on DVD if some show catches our fancy. I felt like it was a nice bonding experience, but now that the relationship is over, makes me feel sad to watch those shows now - plus it just doesn't feel right to watch them alone. So, I've given up these shows (probably more, but these are the ones I remember right now):
  • Stargate Atlantis
  • Painkiller Jane
  • Flash Gordon
  • Doctor Who
  • Eureka
  • Inuyasha
  • Torchwood
  • So You Think You Can Dance
  • Dancing with the Stars
  • American Idol
  • Beauty and the Geek
  • My Name is Earl
  • One Tree Hill
  • Smallville
It's sad to give them all up, but I suppose breakups happen for a reason. I'm not supposed to be the same person anymore - have to change and evolve. That should free at least 6 hours per week for more productive activities. And all those shows are associated with her in my mind, so watching them now wouldn't be the same.

We watched all 10 years of Stargate SG-1 together (like 7 years on DVD). That was pretty great.. But, it's not real - it's just a TV show. Maybe if I'd found other activities - maybe outdoor activities like mountain biking or something, then that would have bonded us together better. Although I have to remember that I already did give it my best... the relationship just wasn't meant to be :-/

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I thought Brandon was the only person who watched Torchwood, Inuyasha and Dr. Who. By the way - I find the current Dr. Who pretty cute.

As you know - I totally relate to your feelings on your shows with your ex. The thing about Ed though with me and "he who shall not be named" is that the entire series was a "will they or won't they" story. very much like our own story (at least in my own mind, and the minds of others. probably not in his.) and the series ran the course of our relationship and ended when our relationship ended. still i was so wounded that i couldn't bare to watch it in syndication though. But, now I really hope it comes out on DVD someday. I've had a good 4 years to be over it though, so I think you'll feel the same over time. but to answer your question - i don't think tv is harmful if you're getting some joy out of it. people have their interests and to each his own. of course, i'm probably biased here because i love nothing more than getting sucked into some show or fantasy with someone else. there's something so satisfying about sharing a silly obsession with another person. i remember when they changed the theme song to Ed in the second season to some random lame song from one of the greatest songs ever - Next Year by the Foo Fighters. We used to mute the beginning and play Next Year on the stereo in place of the other song because it just wasn't the same. Apparently the producers agreed because they switched it back to Next Year in season 3. - missy