Wednesday, October 31, 2007

I hate halloween

ok, that's a bit extreme.
I don't actually hate halloween. But I do have more bad memories than good ones.

Growing up in the middle of the woods didn't present much opportunity for trick or treating. I think I basically missed out on this holiday (except for once as a kid when my MoM helped me make a pacman costume - I remember being happy that year).
After I was in California I didn't know how to enjoy it. They have a different style of halloween here. When I was little I embraced the idea that it was most impressive to make your own one of a kind costume, and then wear it in public daylight hours. Perhaps 'cause I didn't have money? but money never seemed like a halloween problem - childhood naivety covered nicely for any have-not inadequacy. In so-cal though, it seems the most impressive costume is the most expensive or the costume that shows the most skin. While I can't fault chicas for the later, it doesn't help me at all. And even though I could now afford to spend plenty of money on a costume, it wouldn't tie in with any fond childhood memories and would just feel rather empty.

So, my typical halloween experience is promising myself that I'll dress up next year... that's the same this year. The gf is in Dallas and I have no plans to do anything tonight. Oh well... suppose I'm just about too old to learn to enjoy it now anyway - might as well drop the promise for next year.

No comments: